E-CAM is an e-infrastructure for software development, training, and industrial discussion in simulation and modelling. It has a 60 month duration (starting from October 2015) and involves 48 staff years of effort. E-CAM has a total budget of €4,836,897.
At E-CAM we focus on four scientific areas of interest to computational scientists:
We aim to:
- Develop software modules to be used in academia and industry to solve simulation and modelling problems. We will interface those software modules with standard codes and tune the outputs to run on the next generation of exascale computers. We will create an open-access E-CAM Software Repository containing robust applications, modules, scripts, and wrappers. We have set a target of 150 items in the repository by the end of the project. We will set software standards through best practice guidelines to ensure that appropriate documentation and metadata supports the use of the software.
- Provide information and opportunities for discussion on leading-edge simulation and modelling techniques. This includes workshops with industry to identify areas of mutual interest as well as the development of on-line training resources. We have strong industry links already with eight industry pilot projects underway from the start of the project.
- Train the next generation of computational scientists from both industry (new managers and computing specialists) and academia (post-graduates and postdocs). We want to ensure that there are continuing professional development opportunities for scientists and that our links with industry will provide career progression for the participants of our workshops.
There are 8 other e-infrastructure centres of excellence:
- MaX: Materials Design at the Exascale
- EoCoE: Energy Oriented Centre of Excellence
- Bioexcel: Centre of Excellence for Computational Biomolecular Research
- NOMAD: The Novel Materials Discovery Laboratory
- ESiWACE: Centre of Excellence in Simulation of Weather and Climate in Europe
- POP: Centre of Excellence in Computing Applications
- CoeGSS: Centre of Excellence for Global Systems Science
- CompBioMed: Centre of Excellence in Computational Biomedicine